The History of the Swarthout Family
Swartwout, Swartout and Swartwood
History of The Swarthouts in the Mormon Battalion
Provided by Terrance Graham
Revised and added photos - 2/2/2010
Big Pines Recreation Camp
Provided by Terrance Graham
Terrance Graham has graciously provided permission to include excerpts from several of his articles.
His history and knowledge is a great addiiton to the Swarthout database and we appreciate his support and sharing!
Pioneer Memorial Cemetery - San Bernardino
Shawn Price and his family have photographs of headstones of these Swarthouts on their website.
Links to Pictures of Swarthout Headstones.
(Offsite, Back to return, see Block 2)
Swarthout, Charlie A.
Swarthout, Elcy M.
Swarthout, George W.
Link to Nathan's Obituary (offsite, use your Back key to return)
Swarthout Valley, California - A very picturesque railroad line goes through here! http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtGEN42b.html
Wrightwood, CA is located in this valley just east of Los Angeles. Settling the Swarthout Valley Between 1886 and 1926, the Swarthout Valley was homesteaded by many men, among them Harry Heath, Earl Schuyler, Sumner and Buford Wright. The Wrights eventually obtained two thirds of the valley, and it is, of course, from their name that Wrightwood got its name. They established the 1,000 head Circle Mountain Ranch at the eastern end of the valley, and an apple orchard the trees of which can still be found among the homes on the Mountain View and Apple Streets. A few of the buildings in the village area date back to the ranch days. This period also saw mining and lumbering come to the area. Sumner Wright came to the area in the late 1800's. Originally from the Colton, California area, Mr. Wright acquired land in the area for the development of a cattle ranch. He operated his family ranch, Circle Mountain Cattle Company during the early 1900's. He was responsible for planting many of the original apple trees in the area. The Wright's apple production shipped apples from over 3,000 trees. The Wright's also raised pedigreed cattle and trotting horses. From the Wrightwood History.
Swarthout Road, Cajon Pass, California Aerial Photo (Use your find feature to find Swarthout)
Lucerne Valley, California
From the site linked to the title:
Box S Ranch Era
W. W. Brown and his family arrived here in 1886, and were the first to reside on the then unnamed Box S Ranch property. Ten years later, Al Swarthout bought the property. Box S was his cattle brand. In 1897 he moved further east to Old Woman Springs Ranch. At that time James and Anna Goulding and their children took over the Box S Ranch. The entire area had been known, and shown on county maps, simply as the Box S until about 1916. Goulding, who was successful in growing alfalfa (called lucerne), named the locale “Lucerne Valley”.
Box S was composed of a rough, dirt road with only a few houses and isolated homestead shacks out in the sagebrush. However, the city of Victor (now Victorville) 21 miles away, and the city of Hesperia were already being promoted.
Goulding, accepted as the founder of Lucerne Valley, developed the Box S Ranch to play a vital part in local history. The first school, library, and post office were established there. The ranch and Way Station became the center of both the community and social functions. Old-timers would have a hot meal there for 35 cents, use the blacksmith shop, and socialize while hunting for their mail in an old wash tub.
The first July 4 celebration was held at Box S in 1912. The Goulding’s home was the center of all local activities then--when the population was approximately 105 residents. Festivities included “shooting the anvil” (for noise), playing croquet and horseshoes, and the men swam nude in the reservoir back near the alfalfa field.
The Box S era ended recently when Dr. Rao V. and Devi S. Davuloy purchased the remaining 2.88 acre property in 1989 for $180,000. The last of the historic buildings have now been demolished. All that remains is a brick fireplace that once kept the Box S family and guests warm-- now standing among the few cottonwood trees that are left. Here, voices from the past seem to call out to us.
Lucerne Valley History - http://www.lucernevalley.net/history/judkins2.htm
Swarthout Creek feeds into Sheep Creek which feeds Mirage Lake in Los Angeles County, California.
Back to the Swarthout History Page